Several Christmases ago, Hayley (daughter and blog co-author) gifted me with a six-quart slow cooker. I’m in love with it and it’s perfect for making Korean-Style Short Ribs. Good short ribs are all about fall-off-the-bone goodness and a great sauce. The SAUCE — every time I make these, I have to stop myself from eating it all before it even hits the ribs. Cooking time for these short ribs is about nine hours but they’re oh so worth it.
3 pounds beef short ribs
ground black pepper
1/3 cup flour
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 stalk green onion, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup beef broth
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
large (5-quart) pot
6-quart slow cooker
measuring cups and spoons
1. Season short ribs lightly with salt and pepper and then coat with flour.
2. Melt butter in pot over low heat. Turn up heat to medium and brown the short ribs on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
3. Combine all SAUCE ingredients in pot. Cook until boiling — about 5 minutes.
4. Pour sauce over ribs in slow cooker.
5. Cover and cook on low for 9 hours.
6. Sprinkle generously with green onion and sesame seeds.
9 1/2 hours