I will admit, avocado is an acquired taste. I didn’t become a fan of the fruit–yes, it’s a fruit; a berry to be exact–until recently. For me, it’s best used for its creamy texture than for its taste. More specifically, I treat it almost like a soft, melty cheese. This open-faced sandwich is a perfect example! — H. Weal
2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 medium (7 ounce) avocado, peeled and pitted
1 small (3 ounce) tomato
medium (10-inch) skillet pan
small (1 1/2-quart) mixing bowl
1. Place a slice of toast on each plate.
2. Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, place avocado in mixing bowl and mash thoroughly. Set bowl aside.
3. Carefully crack an egg into melted butter on one side of skillet. Repeat with second egg on opposite side of skillet. Let eggs cook until whites are nearly set – about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, spread mashed avocado across both pieces of toast.
4. Flip eggs and let cook until over medium – about 1 minute. Meanwhile, slice tomato, then distribute slices to lay across each piece of avocado toast.
5. Top each piece of tomato avocado toast with fried egg.
NOTES & TIPS
• When entire egg can slide easily across pan, flip it!
• After adding second egg, use spatula to push the edge of each egg white toward its yolk a bit, so the whites don’t fuse as they set.