Lying somewhere in the middle ground between flavored water and juice, the classic Mexican drink aguas frescas (lit. “fresh waters”) comes in many different varieties, often featuring fresh fruit. I use frozen strawberries in my version because they are already a staple ingredient in my kitchen and come conveniently pre-hulled. Garnish with a sprig of mint to add a bright, herbaceous flavor. — H. Weal
6 cups water, divided
1/2 pound (8 ounces) frozen strawberries
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 ounce fresh mint [optional]
1. Combine 1 cup water, strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Pour strawberry puree into pitcher.
3. Add remaining water and stir well.
4. Add mint, if using.
NOTES & TIPS
• 1 lemon yields about 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 large sprig of mint weighs about 1/4 ounce