I like to eat bananas when the skins are spotted and ripe because they’re sweeter, but they can go mushy pretty fast. So what do you do with an overripe banana too messy to eat by hand? Make banana muffins! But most muffin recipes make too many for a person who lives alone. Recently I had a couple of very ripe bananas with only about 24 hours left to live, so I had to do a little experimenting, researching, tweaking — and a fair amount of eating — to came up with a recipe that would only make four perfect banana muffins. Perfect for two — or a very hungry you. I like mine with chocolate chips or walnuts but these are yummy with or without. If you have more than one overripe banana, try my daughter’s Spiced Banana Bread.
1 very ripe banana
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped walnuts
medium (3-quart) mixing bowl
cooking spray or muffin cup liners
1. Set oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin pan lightly with cooking spray or insert muffin pan liners, then set aside.
2. Mash banana with fork in bowl. Add egg, sugar, and oil, then beat with mixing spoon just until mixed.
3. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Beat until just combined.
4. Add chocolate chips or walnuts–if using–and stir just until combined.
5. Fill 4 muffin cups about 2/3 full and bake until muffins are golden brown–about 18 minutes.
NOTES & TIPS
• Bananas are ripe when their aroma gets noticeably stronger and the peel develops brown spots. Bananas are very ripe when the spots increase enough to make the peel more brown than yellow. The banana inside is still good, even when the peel becomes entirely brown. The browner the peel, the sweeter the banana.
• Muffins are done with a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. If toothpick is moist, return muffins to oven and test for doneness every 2 minutes.
• Allow muffins to cool in pan at least 5 minutes before taking them out.