My eldest child is old enough now to make his own meals, so one of his favorites—pancakes—has joined our breakfast rotation. He likes to use my mom’s version when he cooks, but whenever he (or his little brother) gets me to do the cooking, I make blueberry pancakes so that they’ll also get a serving of fresh fruit. (I prefer using wild blueberries because their small size allows you to cram more of them into each pancake.) I have also swapped out all-purpose flour for whole wheat, which makes these pancakes more filling and gives them a heartier taste than traditional pancakes. This recipe is just enough for the two of them, which is just fine for our family of four because we’re rarely coordinated enough to eat breakfast all together anyway.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups (178 grams) whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/3 cups milk
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup canola oil, divided
1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) frozen wild blueberries
quarter sheet (9-inch x 13-inch) baking pan, lined with foil
medium (10-inch) skillet
large (5-quart) mixing bowl
measuring cups and spoons
whisk, or mixing spoon
1. Set oven to 200° Fahrenheit. Place prepared pan in oven. Melt butter in skillet over low heat. Meanwhile, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and, salt in bowl.
2. Add milk, egg, and vanilla. Turn off heat, then pour melted butter into bowl. Mix until smooth. Let stand about 5 minutes.
3. Add about 1 tablespoon oil to buttered skillet over medium-low heat. When oil shimmers, pour in about 1/3 cup of batter. Sprinkle in a handful of blueberries.
4. Cook until edges have lightly browned—about 3 minutes. Flip, then cook for about another 3 minutes.
5. Transfer pancake to prepared pan in oven.
6. Repeat Steps 3—5 with remaining batter.
NOTES & TIPS
• Warm leftover blueberries in skillet, then use as a garnish.
• For a double batch (4–6 servings), use:
4 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 2/3 cup milk
1/2 tablespoons vanilla
2/3 cup canola, divided
1 cup (5 ounces) blueberries
about 6 five-inch pancakes