I started making this fruit-free granola when my children—who initially loved my original granola recipe—both inexplicably began protesting the inclusion of raisins. I had to basically double the recipe, to make up for the missing fruit AND to make enough so that everyone could return for more. Whole almonds are a staple ingredient in my house already, hence the need to prep them beforehand—I grind the nuts for like 8 seconds in my food processor—but if you have sliced or slivered almonds already, by all means, save yourself the extra step!
4 cups (320 grams) rolled oats
2 cups (221 grams) roasted salted whole almonds, chopped small
1/3 cup (75 grams) canola oil
1/3 cup (112 grams) honey
1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) dark brown sugar
1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) pure vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon ground chai spice mix
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
large (5-quart) mixing bowl
kitchen scale or measuring cups and spoons
half sheet (18-inch x 26-inch) baking pan, lined with silicone baking mat
1. Set oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine all ingredients in bowl. Mix well.
2. Spread and press mixture evenly across prepared pan.
3. Bake until highly aromatic and lightly toasted—about 20 minutes.
4. Let stand until firm and cooled—about 20 minutes.
5. Break into clusters.
NOTES & TIPS
• Rolled oats are also known as old fashioned oats
• Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
55 minutes (15 minutes to prep, 20 minutes to bake, 20 minutes to cool)
about 1 1/2 pounds (24 ounces) or six 1-cup (4 ounce) servings