This recipe is simply a batch of classic chocolate brownies made tiny by baking in a mini-muffin pan. I needed an easy, low-budget, pint-sized treat for my little one to share with his kindergarten class to celebrate his birthday. Using whole wheat flour (the only kind I keep on hand these days) makes these treats a bit less guilt-inducing and does not sacrifice the indulgent taste and fudgy texture expected from a good homemade brownie.
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups (300 grams) brown sugar
1 cup (86 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup (90 grams) whole wheat flour
small (1-quart) pot
measuring cups and spoons
mini (24-cup) muffin pan, filled with mini baking cups
large (5-quart) mixing bowl
medium (2-tablespoon) cookie scoop
1. Set oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Melt butter in pot over low heat, then remove from heat and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, whisk eggs well in bowl, then add sugar, cocoa, vanilla, and salt.
3. Stir in melted butter. Stir in flour until just blended.
4. Scoop batter into prepared pan and bake until brownie tops begin to crack and a toothpick inserted into center of one comes out with moist crumbs—about 20 minutes.
NOTES & TIPS
• There is usually enough batter left over for an additional 3 – 4 mini brownies—though I prefer to put all remaining batter into a 4-ounce ramekin to make a single full-size brownie.
• My mini-muffin pan’s cups are small enough to slip through the narrow spaces in my oven rack, so I place this pan on top of a quarter-sheet (11” x 17”) baking pan before placing in oven to keep it stable.
• BONUS RECIPE: WHOLE GRAIN FUDGY BROWNIE MUFFINS: Prepare as above, except scoop 1/4 cup batter (two scoops with medium cookie scoop) per baking cup. Bake in standard (12-cup) muffin pan, lined with baking cups. Let brownies stand until fully set—about 5 minutes—before removing from pan. Serves 12.
28 brownie bites
3 thoughts on “Whole Grain Fudgy Brownie Bites”
Looks so good!
My kids and I tried this and it was amazing
I like the idea of making these in a muffin tin!