I’ve roasted potatoes using different seasonings and methods over the years with hit or miss results. I think I’ve finally nailed the secret to perfect potatoes! Parboiling is the key to keeping them from drying out in the oven. I made these as a side dish to go with fish but I liked them so much, I ate them before the fish was done. 🙂 — L. Weal
1 pound baby potatoes, or small red potatoes, quartered
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1/2 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon salted butter
1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
1/2 cup (2 ounces) Parmesan cheese, grated
large (5-quart) pot
large (5-quart) bowl
10-inch cast iron skillet
1. Set oven to 375 degrees. Rinse potatoes, place in pot, and cover with water. Cook over medium-high heat until potatoes are just fork tender — about 7 minutes. Drain.
2. Mix together potatoes, Italian seasoning, paprika, and salt in bowl.
3. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
4. Add seasoned potatoes to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned — about 5—6 minutes.
5. Turn off heat. Stir in butter and garlic.
6. Place skillet in oven and roast potatoes until crispy — about 15 minutes.
7. Remove from oven, stir in Parmesan, and garnish with parsley.
NOTES & TIPS
• If using pre-grated Parmesan, buy it from the dairy case – not the pasta aisle – for best flavor.
• No cast iron skillet? Mix potatoes with seasonings and cook in a standard skillet on the stove until browned, then transfer to a baking pan to roast in the oven.
• Potatoes can be parboiled ahead of time. After draining, seal in a covered bowl in the refrigerator. They’ll keep for a day or two.